Hollis Seniors Newsletter
Hollis, NH 03049
Hollis Seniors meet every Thursday at the Lawrence Barn Community Center. Gathering starts at 11 AM and Meals on Wheels is usually brought in at noon. A program usually follows the meal or members stay and socialize, playing games of their choice.
Hollis Seniors web site: www.Hollisseniors.org
Email group: Hollisfirstname.lastname@example.org
We need to say, “welcome” to some new members. They are: Sylvia Reid, Bob and Joyce Smith, Paul Bodmer, Jene Reme and Mark and Jacqueline Marden. Welcome!
At our first monthly meeting, we had our MOW and social gathering.
Our next meeting was a trip to the Barrett House located in New Ipswitch, NH. This “antique” house has been kept, as much as possible, in its original circa 1800 condition. Such a treasure!! Between the house itself and its antique furnishings, the 1-hour tour could easily have lasted 2 hours. Who knew this treasure existed here in rural New Hampshire. Following the house tour, we ended up having lunch at the Panda Wok, located in Greenville. A great Chinese restaurant!
On the following week, we had our annual brown bag auction, with Jim Belanger being our auctioneer. We had nearly 30 brown bags auctioned off, with items ranging from hot and cold teddy bears to water color paintings. Some gag gifts and some treasures.
At the next meeting, we had a presentation by Beltone Hearing. Ryan and Diane did a great job on explaining the latest advances that have been made concerning hearing aids and the new “caption call” system. Technology has really made advances in the hearing aid field.
We then finished up the month with our monthly meeting and some “Halloween costumes”
Business meeting highlights:
- Past meeting minutes were read and accepted.
- Treasurer’s report was read to reflect that the bank will start charging us $14.00 month as our balance is below the accepted level for free checking. Our Treasurer will check this out.
- A discussion about having a membership drive was brought up. Many good ideas on how to let the Hollis population know and eventually join our group were discussed. Ideas ranged from newspaper announcements, distributing flyers around town, erecting small billboards around town, to inviting Channel 9 to do a “story” on our group. More ideas are sure to follow.
- The Christmas party cost and menu has not been finalized.
- Update on Gerry Walsh memorial: to be held at the Barn on 14 November from 12.00-2:00PM
- It was voted not to have entertainment during our Christmas Party. Instead, we will have a Yankee Swap.
- Elections for officers will be in December. Speak up if you would like to serve.
Activities for the Month of October
- 5 Nov: MOW and Citizens Bank presentation on Estate Planning
- 11 Nov: Veterans Day-11:00AM at Hollis Congregational Church
- 12 Nov: Presentation on Art
- 17 Nov: School lunch at the HBMS. Please call Donna if you want to attend.
- 19 Nov: Business meeting and birthday cake and ice cream.
- 26 Nov: Thanksgiving Day: no meeting
If we forgot someone, it is because you didn’t provide your birth month for our database. Please see Bob Fiero to update your information.
Future Senior Activities:
Please let me know your suggestions,
Send mail to email@example.com with any questions or comments about this web site.
Web site donated by Joshua Robey