Hollis Seniors Newsletter
52 Nevins Road
Hollis, NH 03049
Hollis Seniors meet every Thursday at the Lawrence Barn Community Center. Gathering starts at 11 AM and Meals on Wheels is usually brought in at noon. A program usually follows the meal or members stay and socialize, playing games of their choice.
Hollis Seniors web site: www.Hollisseniors.org
Email group: Hollisemail@example.com
We started October with a presentation on “Hypnosis.” Lois Hermann from the Amherst Hypnosis Center took us on a visual path to relaxation and provided tips on how to help us have a personal stress free environment. It was a very enlightening and truly relaxing presentation.
The following week we had a presentation on the latest changes to Medicare and the services provided by “SerivceLink” of Nashua. The resources provided by “ServiceLink” range from counseling, recognizing healthcare fraud, supporting family caregivers to being a resource for seniors who may have various disabilities, along with having Medicare experts to assist in reviewing the many Medicare options. They even have programs that assist grandparents who are taking care of grandchildren. The “ServiceLink” office is located in the Nashua Senior Center. They can be contacted at toll free (866) 634-9412 or via the web at www.servicelink.org. This is a tremendous resource for all seniors.
The next week we had our annual “brown-bag” auction. Our auctioneer was none other than our very own Pam Arpin. She kept the bidding lively and always kept the various items going “up” in value. Items auctioned off ranged from bags of coffee to baskets to model planes. A great time was had by all.
The following week was open.
On our last week of the month we had our Halloween costume and Pumpkin show. There were some great customs (see our web site for pictures) and some greatly “carved” pumpkins. And then we followed all that with our monthly birthday cake and ice cream party and our monthly meeting.
Business meeting highlights:
- Minutes of the last meeting were ready by Bob Fiero and accepted.
- Treasurer’s report was read by Nancy Bell and accepted.
- There was a vote on possible Christmas Luncheon selections. We want to narrow the choices from 4 down to 2.
- Menu selection and payment must be made NLT 4 December.
- It was voted and approved to hire “Ramblin Richard” to provide entertainment for our Christmas Luncheon.
- It was voted and approved to have the meals cost $20.00 per person with the Hollis Seniors picking up the difference in meal cost and gratuities.
- It was moved and approved to have the December monthly meeting and election for new Senior officers be held on 18 December 2014.
- A tentative slate of candidates is:
o President: Donna Wardlow
o Vice President: OPEN
o Secretary: Bob Fiero
o Treasurer: Nancy Bell
o Program Chair: OPEN. Possible program committee of 2 or 3?
o There is still time for one and all to step forward!!
Activities for the month of November:
- 4 Nov: Get out and VOTE
- 6 Nov: Veterans Day presentation.
- 8 Nov: Coffee with a cop and “shred day” at the Hollis PD.
- 11 Nov: Veterans Day ceremony at the Hollis Congregational Church
- 13 Nov: Dr. Dagianis from Nashua Eye on eye care for seniors.
- 18 Nov: HBMS lunch. Call Honi for reservations.
- 20 Nov: TBD and Business meeting
- 27 Nov: Thanksgiving. Have a great day!
If we forgot someone, it is because you didn’t provide your birth month for our database. Please see Bob Fiero to update your information.
Future Senior Activities:
Please let me know your suggestions.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or comments about this web site.
Web site donated by Joshua Robey