Hollis Seniors Newsletter
Hollis, NH 03049
Hollis Seniors meet every Thursday at the Lawrence Barn Community Center. Gathering starts at 11 AM and Meals on Wheels is usually brought in at noon. A program usually follows the meal or members stay and socialize, playing games of their choice.
Hollis Seniors web site: www.Hollisseniors.org
Email group: Hollisfirstname.lastname@example.org
We started October with a “show and tell.” Several members brought in interesting items that resulted in some wonderful information. We seem to have a wide variety of members with interesting and diversified backgrounds.
The following week we had our pumpkin contest (see photo). The artistic flare for pumpkin decoration was something to behold.
At our last meeting, Thom Davis from Beaver Brook presented a wonderful overview of this marvelous Association. Thom covered the history of how Beaver Brook got started and ended up with all the current year-round activities that are open to the public. Beaver Brook is a non-profit organization with over 200 volunteers that help run this association. If you have not visited Beaver Brook, please make a point to drop by and see all their activities and their most extensive “bird” museum. There was also a short discussion of some proposed changes to our by-laws. They are:
The officers, with input from members, are recommending the following changes to the current by-laws.
Section 3: Old wording: Meetings of the organization shall be determined as voted on by the membership and may be changed after the proposed change has been published in the newsletter at least 30 days before the vote.
Section 3: New wording: Meetings of the organization shall be determined as voted on by the membership and may be changed after the proposed change has been published in the newsletter at least 30 days before the vote at a regular or special meeting. (See section 10)
New Section 10: Special meetings. Special and/or emergency meetings may be called by the President and/or Vice President for due cause with one week’s notice promulgated via the Association’s official E-mail list. Reason for the meeting shall be clearly stated and at least 15 members shall be present to conduct any official business of the special meeting.
If any members have comments on the above, please contact Donna.
Our last meeting was also the monthly business meeting. Along with birthday announcements, we had cake and ice cream.
Business meeting highlights:
- Past meeting minutes were read and accepted.
- Treasurer’s report was read and accepted. The Treasurer noted that we have funds in 2 banks: Bank of America and Santander. Also, it is rumored that the Santander branch in Hollis may close. Thus, we will need to see where we can have a convenient bank.
- We still need to do a membership drive. A chairperson is needed.
- The Hollis Senior Christmas party is scheduled for 8 December 2016, from 11:30AM to 1:30PM at the Radisson. Meal selection is either apple stuffed chicken or herb crusted salmon. Price will be $28.00 per person with the Seniors picking up taxes and incidentals. Stay tuned for more info.
- Donna must have your meal selection and money by December 1.
- We also will have a Yankee Swap, with gifts in the $10-$15 dollar range.
- June Madeira will be sending out cards to members that have not been attending for a while, just to let them know we miss seeing them.
- We are now paying in advance for MOW. This seems to be working well.
- As of yet, there is no final decision regarding chair-Yoga.
Activities for the Month of November:
- 3 Nov: Hollis Library Society Librarian will speak about recent changes to the Hollis Library
- 5 Nov: Rapture demonstration at Hampshire Hills.
- 8 Nov: Voting
- 10 Nov: TBD. Possible “coffee with a cop.”
- 11 Nov: Veterans Day. Church services at 11:00AM, Hollis Church
- 17 Nov: Business meeting
- 24 Nov: Thanksgiving
November birthdays: Bill Barnes, Judy Mahoney, Loretta Seremeth, Joyce Smith and Donna Wardlow
If we forgot someone, it is because we do not have your birth month for our database. Please see Bob Fiero to update your information.
Please let me know your suggestions for future activities you would like to see or do.
Send mail to email@example.com with any questions or comments about this web site.
Web site donated by Joshua Robey