Hollis Seniors Newsletter
Hollis, NH 03049
Hollis Seniors meet every Thursday at the Lawrence Barn Community Center. Gathering starts at 11 AM and Meals on Wheels is usually brought in at noon. A program usually follows the meal or members stay and socialize, playing games of their choice.
Hollis Seniors web site: www.Hollisseniors.org
Email group: Hollisemail@example.com
May started off with pizza and we then just sat around and simply enjoyed each other’s company. This was a very nice way to start the upcoming summer.
The following week was a “military event day” which our veterans replayed some of their more “hilarious” days in the military. This was a prelude to the upcoming Armed Forces Day and Memorial Day. It was a chance for our seniors who served to tell about their military exploits or how they managed to stay out of the brig.
The next week we had a dental presentation by Dr. Todd Pollack, DMD. Dr. Pollack provided detailed information about how seniors should consider the importance of “senior” dental health to their overall wellbeing. His presentation consisted of video and open questions and answers. He covered just how dental changes impact seniors and how these “new” conditions can be corrected and managed. This was one of the liveliest presentations that we have had. Dr. Pollack can be reach at 603-882-8000.
This brought us to our last meeting in May—the business meeting:
Business meeting highlights:
- Minutes of the March meeting were read by Bob Fiero and accepted.
- Treasurer’s report for May was read by Nancy Bell and accepted.
- The entertainment expense for our upcoming June picnic was approved. “Stan Jr.” will provide music and entertainment. And folks that have heard him say he is great!
- There are still some reservations for our Squam Lake cruise. The trip is planned for 9 July and the cost is $59.00/per person that includes travel, boat trip and lunch. Call Grace at 465-3991 to make your reservation.
- If you have not attended the last meetings and wish to come to our annual picnic, please call Donna and let her know, as she needs a general headcount.
- Discussions are still on going concerning our group combining future trips or outings with senior groups from Brookline and Milford.
- Possible visit to the Indian museum in CT in the near future.
- We agreed to make a visit to the Ft. Devens museum on 25 June. See below for additional details
- There will be NO Meals On Wheels during June, July, or August. Brown bag your lunch during our meetings these months.
Activities for the month of June:
- 4 June: Pizza at our meeting along with ice cream.
- 11 June: Annual picnic, which will be catered along with entertainment.
- 18 June: Brown Bag action. Item value around $5.00. This is always a fun day.
- 25 June: Trip to the Fort Devens Museum, which is located at 94 Jackson Road #305, on Devens. The plan is to meet at the Barn at 10:00AM and combine some rides and then “convoy” to the museum, for a private showing starting at 11:00AM. It will be about a 30-minute ride from the Barn to the Devens Museum. The museum tour will take approximately 1 hour. Then we plan to have lunch at one of several restaurants located on Devens, such as the “Great American Grill, Devens Common” located at 59 Andrews Parkway, or the “Devens Grill” located at 4 Ryans Way or the “Red Tail Tavern” located at 15 Bulge Road”, all on Devens.
If we forgot someone, it is because you didn’t provide your birth month for our database. Please see Bob Fiero to update your information.
Future Senior Activities:
Due to slow summer activities, there will not be a July or August newsletter. We will provide updates via email, or you can simply attend our weekly meetings that we still will have.
Please let me know your suggestions.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or comments about this web site.
Web site donated by Joshua Robey